Thursday, February 18, 2010

Some Travel thoughts

My husband, John, can shut down a security check point more rapidly than three men in long robes with side arms. John can also spot a pretty blond faster than two college boys on spring break and finally he can entertain a young child across an airplane or a restaurant more than two puppies and a whistle could.

From a long line of nomads, my ancestors moved across an ocean to put my birth place here on this land, I have lost my sense of wonder about travel. I firmly believe that Thoreau had wisdom when he said, 'beware of all enterprises that require new clothes'. His thoughts about being well traveled in Concord, I am taking to heart.

We have come home early from a cruise. (That is whole story that is separate from this discussion of travel.)

From the first days of going camping with my two children forty years ago until this past week, I have always have a spirit that could not be totally quieted by being in one place. The sights of different people, landscapes, foods were necessary for my wide corner of curiosity. The stories that hang on old buildings and ancient roadways I have read about, the books that told of people that conquered, stood up to power, the saints and sinners of history maybe, just maybe, called me to review, because maybe, I had been there before!

This week a white haired, plain looking woman in her eighties turned and said, "I have been to all the places she has been talking about, what's the point, who cares, who really cares. The thing I hate about cruising is the talk about how serious was the last illness and how many places I have visited around the world." She was referring to a couple in front of us explaining to a gentleman about world ports and travel.

There are a few pieces of luggage that are on the shelve that are for the taking. Our backyard is the new location for observing and learning. I am going to reread Thoreau and use his perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment