Friday, February 18, 2011

Middle Feburary

As the sky is clearer at night, the temperatures also drops this time of the year.  The last couple nights the moon lite up the bedroom like it was a baby sun. The chicken water had a thin mirror of ice on it this morning.   The rubbarb  pink heads are show their starts, the garlic is five inches high and the branches are getting tiny swellings along the length.  This is the month that I want time to speed up and so I can move my energy outdoors and work in the garden.  I have a conversation each day with myself about starting seeds indoors and argue the point for and against the best time line.

My chicken have been roaming the whole backyard for the last few months as there are no seedlings for them to dig up. I enjoy the sight of them have free run.  The first three steps out the back door looks like a bottom of a chick coop as they huddle there daily during their breaks out of the wind or rain.  John, Daisy and I have learn to step lightly as we walk though the stained area and weekly my boom comes out and I sweep it all clean.  The power washer will come to work as I lock up the chickens for the spring and summer in their own running space.  It will be interesting for me to see if the work of scratching and the spreading of their droppings boost growth in the veg garden this summer.

Hopefully, I will take all my winter reading and patiently plant seeds every two weeks so I can have greens in small amounts all summer long, remember to plant my winter kale and Brussels sprouts  in the middle July and not plant my beans until June.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment