Friday, November 11, 2011

The Evolution of Interest

           Last Sunday afternoon I was raking leaves that had fallen from the grape arbor and then I found myself cutting vines and trimming back the overgrowth.  I had to smile to myself handling those vines, oh, how I used to treasure them!

           Twenty years, ago, when Martha Stewart had all middle class women turned into little homemakers, my social lady friends and I were making grape vine wreaths.  I use to spot vines growing wild while driving and mentally mark the spot for later harvesting.  Often I would be climbing around logs in the freezing cold reaching beyond my true ability for a nice long vine. I recall once, I even slipped and fall in snow! Then I would soften the vines in a warm bathtub, slowly then I make a circle of them and build it thicker and thicker.   There were  long hours involved in the whole process.

           Tired and needing a rest late afternoon Sunday, I sat in a lawn chair for about twenty minutes and made a wreath.  I remembered my friends fondly and how important getting it right was for all of us.  Now, Living Magazine, I pick up, glance at the photography and think of all that silliness.

           My magazines of choice are Arces and Mother Earth News now.  My interests have moved on, I guess.  But it was fun, remembering, and quietly creating a wreath.  This wreath may make it to the side door this holiday season, just to remind me to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment