Tuesday, March 9, 2010

evolution of food



Kate Heyhoe has written a book about reducing your carbon footprint in the kitchen, titled COOKING GREEN.  Most of her suggestions I have either already adopted or feel I am not interesting in changing my habits.  But I did find a couple gems in the book. 

There is a Chinese poaching method of cooking a chicken that I tried and will use again.  I found the meat more tender and moist.  Basically you season a whole chicken with salt and pepper, place the chicken, six slices of ginger, green top onions, a couple tablespoons dry sherry in a pot with enough water to cover the chicken by 1/2 inch.  

Bring the water to a boil, skim away the brown scum that rises to the top for about five minutes.  Partially cover the pot and reduce the heat.  Simmer the chicken for 15 minutes. 

Turn off the heat.  Leave the chicken fully covered in the pot for 1 hour.  

Now you have a few meals that include great broth for soups.  I found the meat is more tender than when boiled and it was completely cooked by this method.  One other thing about the chicken or soup in general, I added a couple dry mushrooms to my soup pot and I think it enriches the favor without really being a strong taste that anyone can identify.  Often I don't just have the right sherry in the house. 

One other recipe that will become part of my standard monthly menu is making spring rolls.  Perhaps the easiest way to learn how to work with these rice paper wrappers is by way of Utube.   I made the recipe she used in the book of Mediterranean style fillings.  Truly anything is possible, when you think about it, and it a great snack, appetizer, carried lunch or lite supper.  

These wrappers are a no-cook alternative to breads or tortillas, no refrigeration, shelf-stable and last indefinitely.

 Put down first a little salad, spinach or shredded cabbage or an assorted greens first on the bottom third of the wrap.  Next comes the fresh or blanched vegetables.   Topped off with shrimp, grilled fish or tofu or cooked chicken before starting the roll up.

I plan to explore with this wrapper.


No comments:

Post a Comment