Saturday, June 26, 2010

On these Days

The old Hopi prediction says something about when the ocean turns black, it is another sign of a major change to the human race.  In one way, prophecies are very interesting because they are sign posts to watch for but in another way it doesn't matter because I live my life only controlling my little space.   I have little power.

Today I will build an arbor over my blueberries.  Between a rainy spring and a little better care of my bushes I have bumper crop this year.  The man at Lowe's was very helpful and experienced about listen to senior aged women talk about the need for arbors over blueberry bushes, he even referred to his grandmother.  I found that interesting, probable is my gray hair that made him think of her.  My  design is truly simple or I could not undertake it.

The strawberries this year also benefited from all the spring rain, they are unusually large and with the sun of the last few days they have sweeten up.  The thing about strawberries is they multiply like a good weed, I have been all over the yard.  So it pushing me to the point I may have to make jam this year.  I really never thought of myself as a jam maker.  I have frozen many packs of berries in the past but never got into preserving them any other way. I need to think more on that .

My garlic is probably still a month off because we have not had the heat.  I am cutting the curly tops off and using them daily .   Unless you are a grower you can imagine what a special treat, extra bonus these scapes are for a cook.
I have let a whole bed of kale go to seed.  It is the backbone of my winter and spring greens.  Many of us realize that kale is so much better to spend time growing that lettuce or other greens.  My tomatoes are a month behind, their little yellow flowers are just starting to appear.

Read the other day that Victory gardens produced 40% of the food during that time period.  There are laws against that now.  Neighborhoods rules say that weed free lawns are the best use of land.  

No comments:

Post a Comment