Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4th

  Sixty-seven years ago this evening I was born in a hospital in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  Probably my earliest memory of a birthday party and fireworks was the  night on my third birthday.  It was on the shores of a small lake and I have the feeling the whole event was planned for me.  I assumed for a couple years that each person had fireworks for their birthday celebrate. Then it was explained that I just happened to be born on a national holiday, the biggest of the summer.

      For all of us, birthdays have moments that stay with us for years and we reflect on them and measure how our life is processing. Because of the date and the summer holiday I probably have had more high notes than ten people combined when it comes to celebrating with  family and friends.

    This year I have a very subdued, quiet day in mind.  My brother this week heard the news about cancer,  my husband this morning had no idea that it was my birthday because of his Alzheimer's, my children and grandchildren are far  away or traveling.

       When we are young we all for sure that  we are the first generation that has felt the passion of love and sex.  Then we mature a little and we realize that all previous generations have had the same misinformed idea.  There are many markers on the road about things in life. Always we imagine our discovery of these common events are new. 

     This birthday reminds me the current period of life is one of letting go. Oh, it is not in one day or one year but the losing of strength, of energy, of the  sense of no one's head turns any more, that I blend into the landscape of life.  I am amazed when I am referred to as senior or like someone's grandmother and how similar I look liked my mother in her mature years.  Inside my head, the wisdom is growing and the mental position is still of my mid thirties. 
     
      The outside world is in crisis unlike we have seen in a century perhaps.  The earth as a planet is hurting and poisoned .  The citizens are focused on one issues that reflects their interest rather it is their job, their investments, their taxes or their religious view.  One issue. Empathy is missing.  My voice has been stolen by the greed of the system. My world has shrunk to the few I can help.

  
       I plan to to fix a special lunch, serviced outside for my husband and brother with a view of the garden.   Hopefully, Daisy will be near by wondering what portion of this lunch she will get, the chickens stay securely inside they yard and no rabbits are eating my beans or peas.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment