Friday, July 16, 2010

John's Birthday

    In the book ART OF AGING  by Nuland, he states that the people we love and love us defines who we are.  I was thinking about about this morning at 5:30 when John mistakenly got up too early.  Gentlely, I  told him he had an another hour to sleep and he turned off lights and when back to bed.   Later, as I was driving John to the Y, I was also reminded by a passage of the book, that we make accommodations as we age.   I am defined in many ways by John and probably need him more than he needs me. 
      His responds to my suggestions are usually taken with respect or humor or the new third way, quickly forgotten! His adjustment of letting me drive him gradually over a couple weeks went from I can drive myself, "you know Loretta I'm should be driving my truck and you wouldn't have to do this"  to "it is so nice of you to take me to the Y, are you sure you want to?".
       As long as we have enthusiasm for something we have a reason to live.  I have seen this in all my family and friends that have been around me.  Some of them it was the routine of getting up to go to Mass each day and visiting with friends, some it was the care of someone else and some it was a particular hobby or interest of gave them a purpose in life.
       A good old age is fulled with happiness. Regardless, of the limitations that surround these years, most polls show that people in their senior years are said to be very content and happy.  It is our society that is so focused on youth, ambition and acquiring things that they have failed to notice the sweetness that is presence in senior years.
       John turned 77 this month.  His vocabulary is shrinking, his need for strict routine is more apparent each week yet his life fulled with little tasks that make his life very content.  His presences fulls my life and Daisy's. 
       My interests of gardening, art and writing will be part of my life as long as my bones can move and my mind can function but these days  have a special sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment