Sunday, November 18, 2012

November, Nuturtion and Nuts

       This month marks a time that diets of many of us changes along with the weather.  I look at every store what they are pricing their potatoes and squash at and if it is organic and priced favourably I buy.  They both keep so well in my garage.  The work bench has been cleared in the garage to store my assortment of squashes.  Plastic milk cartons are used to store my potatoes and then I cover them with old coffee bean bags made of burlap.

       Squash,  I have learned that they should have a stem on them, no soft spots and can not touch each other.  The author from Oregon, Carol Deppe's book, THE RESILIENT GARDENER -  FOOD PRODUCTION AND SELF-RELIANCE IN UNCERTAIN TIMES writes about the skill of gardening but also about nutrient and storing food and eating during the winter.  Granted,  she is wheat sensitive she relies on potatoes and squash more than some of us but then again she maybe wise like the native Americans were live on this land.  Her favourite squash is sweet meat but she covers more than I have ever heard of or seen in stores.  From her I have grown to respect the humble vegetable and understand the value of it. 

         A week ago I saw a display of organic potatoes priced right.  It must be my Irish blood but I like potatoes, more in the winter perhaps, but I really feel that this is one vegetable that should be organic or home grown.   That great recipe that Irish invented, colcannon,  using cabbage and potatoes with cream and butter is over the top good.  I modify it some what but still enjoy on a winter's night.  Add a slice of squash, I am eating well.

         Last week, Dr. Weil on an afternoon show and this is a man that I have read for 20 years.  He had his top list of staying health and simple adjustments to make for a longer healthier life.  Iodine is a mineral he suggested that many Americans should be made aware of and watch for the signs of needing it.  If one is very sensitive to cold, puffy eyes along with a tireness, the lack of Iodine maybe the problem.  Consuming more dairy, ocean fish, sea weed or kelp would take care of the shortage in our body.  That sardine and cracker lunch our parents had is still a wise idea or the Asian idea of miso soup or a little sea weed in the soup pot takes care of this iodine problem.

        Weil went on to say that an all raw diet is not a great idea as some foods are better consumed cooked like tomatoes but other foods are most beneficial  if raw like garlic and asparagus.  That garlic news, about eating raw is new to me.  I throw garlic into my beans, potatoes and just about any pot on the stove.  Now I will learn to crush garlic, leave time and air work it's magic and then put it into olive oil and use it on food.

        Finally pistachio nuts, a serving of 47, calories of 158 and it gives us 85% of our need of Vitamin C for the day.  This is a good low fat nut and we burn calories opening up the nut, doesn't get better than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment