Monday, September 7, 2009

homes and life style

During a gathering of retired people yesterday the subject of second homes in sunny locations was the topic. The discussion continue to point out the advantages of having the over 55 old limit, the pluses and minuses of fees, varieties of activities and the cost, travel and length of time involved. A couple were sharing their winter plans with all of us.

I sat there amazed that I was not interested in any of it. I have had a second home starting in my mid thirties and realize that 'it was the best of times' but want nothing of it at my age or at this time in life. Imagining sitting around my own age and listening to people talk about their last doctor appointment is educational to me, because I know little about illnesses, but in the end it is depressing. Also older people are rarely challenging with new ideas.

It came to me last week, that for years, I saved a house plan that had a walled in center court. That European design of closed in garden area with privacy appealed to me from the first time I saw it while traveling.

Enjoying my gardening last week I realized I have built my plan and did not even realize it. I have the six foot fence, the gardens, the patios, the orchard and the retreat of privacy I have always wanted. All of nature and life have movement and change and of course it is true in my yard. I am always planning how it would be better for me to move plants and create new areas for different things to grow. Now the chickens add a touch of country life to the whole space.

It was beneficial to listen to that discussion yesterday. I know myself better and I realize my blessings. I have no idea if this is my last residence but thanks to my angels and ancestors I will appreciate it more now that they reminded me of my faded house plan of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment