Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The 40's Film and the 60's dinner

John and I went to see a movie last night, Letters to Juliet.  It reminded me of the movies of the '40's, people used civil language, the conversations were what average people would have said, no violence, the drama of people making choices about how to live their lives. This predictable film plus it was a travelogue of Italy I have enjoyed seeing some of those places I have seen made for great date night.  After seeing the previews, I felt fortunate to have pick this film to enjoy.

For some reason I was also thinking today about a book that I read in the early 60's about Perle Mesta.   It struck me as a young person that I had never been or heard of a gathering of any sort like she hosted,  she lead a charmed life.  Imagine hosting the leaders of the world, the policy thinkers and the most interesting names that passed though Washington D.C or any spot in the world.  I have always played the mental game of gathering at my dinner table the people that I think would offer a lively evening of discussion.  Of course, the year changes the invitations but I have made some fabulous lists in my life.  Today, one person in particular in public life, I would like to spend a day with - no point in sharing that name.  The dinner table is always changing.  I wonder if other people make the list of their imaginary dinner table  and what people they would gather for an evening.  The one thing that would probably surprise most reading this is, that I consider my two children two of the brightest people I know, add Shuchi to that list and you know the table  discussion will be lively.  Call me lucky.

It is a table for twelve.  I will take suggestions.




No comments:

Post a Comment