Friday, May 28, 2010

Delayed Spring

Weather talk is generally boring but our cool rainy spring is the only thing on my mind.  Any day that is sunny and above 55 I take my rest on the lounge chair under the grape arbor after lunch.  This spring I have done it three days and in two days it will be June.  It is the middle of winter depressing, wet, damp and cloudy.

I figured it out the other day that we will know the bottom of the economy when neighborhoods like this one, stop hiring people to spraying chemicals on their yards and start to understand the nutritional value of dandelions.

On the one sunny day this week, Tuesday, I went behind our fence to the garden soil pile and was on my knees scooping dirty into a pail.  Two deer jumped out of the woods to watch me.  They had some of their winter coat still on that was gray and shaggy, very thin and fine boned with large brown eyes.  We shared our space for two or three minutes as they watched me load my dirty.  As I rose to leave, they jumped into the woods in an instant. Maybe everyone on this block has as many animals in and around their yard but I think because of our organic system  of caring for the property we have more than our share.  Rabbits, frogs, snakes, mice, bees and birds beyond my id abilities are visitors.  There is a crow family of five in the area but one in particular visits our front yard in the morning for worms and if I throw bread to the chickens it is there in a minute steal a piece or two.

I have heard of a year  in  OLympia about 30 years ago that it rained most of the summer and they had only one sunny week-end.  I hope history will not repeat itself this summer.  A summer without sun means more peas and less tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment