Saturday, January 9, 2010

The African Word

So many things freshly marketed, at this age, I fight because I feel comfortable in my routine. If it is new, I probably do not want it on the simple principle I have seen enough changes, struggled with learning new skills and feel comfortable as life is.

For a couple years, the scorn toward Microsoft company and products I have from heard my brother, Phil, as he fills me in about his computer club. He has always discuss the advantages of Linux and often uses the word Ubuntu. That last word has meant little or nothing but I knew is was a computer program. For most of us that have had computers at less 10 years or have been investing in the last numbers of years would remember the term, Red Hat. It was going to undo Windows program years ago. Well, in a way, it has achieved it, at less for all of us that now use Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a word from southern Africa that means openness, availability, focusing on relationships with generosity. The Zulu people use the word, Mandel's tribe, but others have a version of the term. It relates to welcoming strangers with water, food and comfort without being asked. What a perfect word for using the connections that make our computers work for us.

For over a year, Ken as asked me when I want to change to Ubuntu. I really saw no need, even as he told me that there are no known Linux viruses and my computer will never crash. It was free and would make my computer faster and allow me to have up to date computer for at less five more years. I would have to copy and paste some documents that I had saved on Window Office and I would have to think about the bookmarks that were my favorites which I would also have to cut and paste. It did not seem like an adventure worthy of my time.

My suggestion now is, find someone to help you with the switch if you can't do it yourself! It is like going from the wood burning stove to electric heat, it is the like going to a digital camera from the film model and finally, think in terms of street car to a bullet train.

Sometimes new things are just wonderful. Ubuntu what a perfect word for this open, constantly updated, viruses free more secure way of connecting to others in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment