Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Seeds

When is it time to throw out a package of seeds? I am going though my box of seeds this morning and trying to decide.

It is easy to buy seeds. This year I have received about eleven catalogs and each is better and more selection than what the mail brought last week. It is common wisdom today that organic seeds are likely to have less pest problems than GMO seeds. The goal of finding the most unusual, little know variety is part of the hunt but blending that with the successful seeds of last year is always a challenge. My habit of package seed saving is a problem . I hear those seeds inside as I shake the package and feel an obligation to keep the little envelope of potential life. Isn't it true that seeds from the tombs of Egypt germinated?

Living in the Pacific Northwest we have a long growing season but less heat that the middle of the country. We have companies that specialize for our climate but that can be boring. I found Kitazawa Seed Co., it is focused on Asian vegetable seeds now after starting out only with Japanese seeds. With some of the weather changing patterns, it is interesting to expand out view of the plant world. I sent them an order last year. It did not work out so well, I plant some squash seeds in the front yard but rabbits loved the tender plants and I forgot to water them enough, I think. I have enough seed left over, I think I will try again in a different local.

My favorite read is Fedco Seed Co. It is a 140 pages of comments by growers that caution, encourage, compare, and share secrets. The order I put in to them each year is simply to make sure I get the reading for the next winter. It is an old fashion type company that have very set rules about ordering and frankly tells the customer among their many rulers, they don't rush orders. It is a co-op and they are from Maine. It is probably more famous for the prose than the seeds.

I no longer have much interest in flower seeds. I have roses, lilies and lavender growing in the yard to keep the bees around during the summer, strong fragrant flowers are favorites at this point. In a previous period of my life I was very interested in flowers for bouquets but that was when I entertained a lot. Now I work outside so much during the day I enjoy my flowers and they give me pause.

Gardening is never mastered as a form, one is always a student. Thomas Jefferson quote is so wonderful, “Though an old man, I am but a young gardener” .

No comments:

Post a Comment