Monday, October 25, 2010

China

        Ken, my son, has returned to China for a couple weeks to study at a clinic of acupuncture.  Return is loosely used term, his first trip was as part of a family trip in 1983.  We went right after it was open for general tours, that was after the medical doctors and teachers and before McDonald chain restaurants got there. My curiosity was enough that I took three semester of Chinese culture and history at the local college before we went.  My husband was not the less bit interested but did not want to be left behind, both children would rather we do a return trip to England.  After our three week grand tour of that year, I have to say it was one of the smartest travel decision I ever made.
         Shanghai Ghetto is a documentary that I got from Netflix last week.  It was well done and reminded me so much of that first trip to China.  Some German Jews realized early on that they were not safe in Germany, a few thought all of Europe was not safe and then there were a group that had no passports.  Japan at that time occupied Shanghai and invited them to take refuge in China, where much of the world needed papers or were simply not taking any Jews.  The Japanese respected the Jewish culture and were open to helping them.
         Shanghai was the financial capital of the Far East in early 20th century, the riverfront was faced with beautiful building of the day and it shipping port was world class.  The Germans lived in the poorest neighborhoods with shortage of food, no jobs and lived many to a room.  After the war they realized how lucky they were to have left early.
         All of Bund was still in place if not a little dusty in 1983.  I remember walking by the Peace Hotel for a couple blocks and seeing the only stop light in China.  There were only black Russian cars for very high ranking officials, all the populate traveled by bike or bus.   Someone's description was "it likes walking in a snow storm",  the crowds on the street.
         In this area now is a eight lane highway elevated, the city has Ikea, Walmart and Star bucks on all major corners.
          Ken's trip to China has made me think about that early trip.  John, my husband never thought much about the culture, history or food but he related to the people the best of anyone on the tour.  One  afternoon in a tea factory  he sat in a low stool and took over a guy's job in over a huge steel bowl drying tea leaves.   The factory stopped and the laughter of the Chinese could be heard behind their hands covering their mouths.  Both of my children learned Asian languages and have traveled in and out of the region their adult lives. 
         I have, by luck, been back to China every ten years since that first trip but I have to say I appreciate what I experienced on the first trip the most.
         Recently, Ken told me that in the next ten years there is a prediction that backpackers will be common in China.  The transportation system, the number of people using English as a second language all encourage that future.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment