Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In the garden

      Warm sunny fall days are the best days of the year.  Somehow I know no matter how great the light is, how comfortable the skins feels at the moment this are treasured times because in a week, in a day or for sure in a month there will be a new weather pattern and it will be very different.  The mornings are beginning to be foggy and darker.  The evenings are most often clear and the sky bright with stars.
      I built the first hoop house over one of the raised beds doing in a way that allows more room for the kale to grow this winter.  There is no reason not to try another bed to provide spinach and other winter crops so I will be doing that in the next day or so.  If all the current kale varieties survive the winter we will have all we need. 
      Surprisingly, the apple were better than I first thought.  They fill two pile so I got well over 10 gallons of apples of about three or four types.  Liberty is my favorite eating apple this year.  I have some apple scab but it is simple to peel and the favor is all there.
       I was told that if I staked up the potatoes plants the potatoes will continue to grow and since there is no hurry to take them out of the ground in the climate I will harvest as needed until the weather turns really wet and cold. I made up some shoe strings for the grandchildren one noon and it proved to be a master  hit, must double the  amount.  I added a little Hawaiian sea salt and herbs and it was as good of food I have ever tasted.
       The tomatoes are coming in and every third day I pick enough that I have to figure what to do with the cherry size.  I have canned some pint jars I have dried some and put them in olive oil and this latest bunch I think I will put on a cookie sheet and freeze them.  It has been a record poor year for tomatoes.




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment