Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gourmet Peasant Food

I have spend most of my afternoons in recent weeks when there is sunshine cleaning up the garden for winter which means I am harvesting the last of what is out there, saving seed pods and planning for the winter survival of my greens mainly kale and a few root crops.

 As I slowly move from picking the green tomatoes to taking down the bean vines to pulling a few carrots or beets, I imagine how I will use the items at dinner time or lunch the next day. 

Three ideas I recently used, in this pursuit, I will share here.  Boiled beets sliced with roasted walnuts and blue cheese with a touch of olive oil and a splash of lemon juice.  Another luncheon recipe is black bean soup, I always soak my beans over night and then it takes less than twenty minutes in a small Indian pressure cooker to thoroughly cook them.  Add chopped onion and garlic after a little sautéing  along with roasted tomatillos, sea salt, cilantro and you have a flavorful meal.  I use the Cuisinart to make the whole soup creamy.   But my recent best is a meal of goat cheese on Artisans bread with a drizzle of good honey on the cheese, a hand full of grapes and a half of pear, it was over the top.  Now is you add a rustic table or a street cafe scene with a glass of wine you could be in Paris or on a small Greek isle.  The food is so simple, fast to make and rich in flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment