Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ground Cherries

          All of my small berry type fruit did very well in this year with the rainy cool spring.  The surprise for me this year as been how much the ground cherries produced.  I put had one plant in the ground and and it spread and flatten out as if it was a pancake.  I found all this tiny paper covered fruit laying under the plant and realized they were all ripe and sweet waiting for me to harvest them.

           Next year I will probably plant ground cherries in a raised bed and may even lay a burlap sack around the base of the plant to make things easier later in the season, keeping the fruit from the soil and the slugs.  I will also try either a tomatoes cage or a rope system to keep the branches off the ground.  Last night I throw a few into our lettuce catch all salad and they were lovely surprises to bite into.  So far, I have preferred to eat my small fresh with out the work of baking or the addition of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment