Thursday, November 12, 2009

"isn't it so" - Yoga anew

I accidentally became a student of an India Guru last week.

I sign up for one week intense yoga class that suggested that my energy level would improve with this practice. Having practice yoga for the last four winters to strength physically my muscles in general and my back in particular, I look at this newspaper story as another step of growth and understanding of this process.

This experience was leaps beyond the prescribed practice of the 'Y' yoga.

Sadhguru is well known guru as 25 years in India and 11 years on the international scene with a new site in Tennessee. I found him to be charismatic, bright, funny and engaging. A combination of Gandhi, an inspiring college professor and a retired Marine. Sadhguru's appears came by way of film each session while a traveling disciple conducted the class locally. In my case, the young attractive woman was from Lebanon who has been in the program for seven years by way of India and teaching for a couple years around the world.

It expanded my thinking more than my physical being. In fact, I will not be doing the physical routine taught by this class because my needs are not more ideas of enlightenment but strengthening of my body. The idea of sitting cross legged for a half an hour is not want I need. This body needs strengthening and stretching. But the discussions of philosophy will stay with me and perhaps influence more and more how I view the world.

Two of these that struck me were the role of women and the role of creativity.

Sadhguru started by saying, "men do not know what to do with women" as he laughed and continued, "isn't it so". Men are superior in only one way and that is strength, in all other ways they are equal. Men don't realize it is woman's ability to be subtle it what make women superior. Many cultures allow men to control power over women though marriage, government and religion. Think of Muslim countries that often blend all three forms of control over women, think of religions as in the Mormons that use women as breeding persons or Hindus as marriage contracts to enrich wealth. Then there are the Christian or Jewish religions that simply can't share power roles with women in the religious communities. "Isn't it so". For the last century women has won some freedom and equality in different part of the world but think about it, if upheaval comes, men with their strength again take over, Sadhguru points out. They hide their women from the invading soldiers and put them into servitude in the house or granary. Power, strength and equality all discussed in a new way.

"Enough creativity, already!" I was shocked to hear those words. You mean, my painting, my writing and the poems I think about are too much?

The thought behind stopping creativity is that it is ruining the planet. Think of the invention of the last hundred years and what affect it has had on the planet. Slowly, I made the list and each one of them has it had an impacted on the natural world and mostly in a negative way, in fact, the science bares this out. I have never thought of it, in these terms before. Cars, airplanes, plastics, industusrial sizing of production are all negative to the enviroment.

Species are constantly declining, the list includes everything from the ocean. Globally, will be in 100 percent collapse by 2048 by Dr. Worm and eleven other scientists from Canada in Science magazine studies show.

With a human population pushing seven billion, this world wrapped in plastic, GMO seeds, fuel, fertilizers, the forests, the water and the air are all affected. It is time to think about stopping the technical inventions.

I remember the firefly, I have heard that the bees are in trouble but now I am thinking that creativity is something to reconsider.

Sadhguru is a master teacher and he has given me something to think about in a new way. I will share more later

No comments:

Post a Comment