Wednesday, November 25, 2009

State Dinners

Last night while watching some of the broadcasted part of the State Dinner for the Prime Minister of India, I was thinking, this is a lot like the Miss American pageant for me.

When I was a little girl of about ten we got our first television along with most of other houses of the neighborhood. It was put in a room off the living room we called the sun room, there were three channels and we sat in the dark in the evening watching the world invade our lives. Television was a little like going to the movies. That August for the first time, I watched the Miss American pageant.

Now every little girl in American knew in her heart that she could grow up and be on that stage. We were all told that we were pretty or beautiful by our parents and with a little help of those glamorous dresses, anyone of us could be crowned.

Last night, I asked John what do you think I need to do to get an invitation to a state dinner. His answer included something about, well, he would be going with me.

Then I remember my dream of going to be Miss America, only this is a grown up version of that type dream. It is probably in the stars I never made it to Atlantic City--it is seems so silly now, that I wanted to go.

State dinner, now, I would shop for a new dress! It is silly to shop ahead of time, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment