Monday, April 12, 2010

Notes on spring

Mama rabbit was six feet from her babies on the lawn this morning eating grass at seven a.m.  I watched her for awhile and then after checking on my coffee, I lost sight of her.  I have looked in on the nest a couple times but see no change on the surface.  One of these days those little ones will be moving around.

I potted some seedlings from six packs to gallon pots and the work took the better part of a day.  Funny things is in this area, everyone I know starts all their own tomatoes and a variety of seeds, never knew anyone that did that in WI.  I do have one friend that had her gardener do it for her but she, herself didn't do it.  I think times have changed and people that garden know more about selections and GMO seeds so it is a matter of education and choice.  I am starting two types of basil this year, the new one is Holy Basil.  It has many lovely properties and am interested in seeing it grow this summer.  Got some comfort plant from a friend, I realize, I really need it for my chickens and my fruit trees.

Another friend told me a few years ago about molasses as a fertilizer, I recently remembered the story and googled it and it explained the whole thing. With the deluded molasses water and the crushed egg shells for calcium, my tiny plants are standing tall, off to a good start.  Tomatoes go out a little after Mother's Day and the basil will go on Father's Day.  Well, that is the general plan.

About the black molasses story, the woman's son grows marijuana, of course, it was medicinal reason only.  The story goes that is the only fertilizer he uses because it is so good.  It is something that all of have in our house and it will boost the grow of any houseplant. 

The spring time is always the same.  One wonderful day of warmth, sunlight and exhausting work toward cleaning the yard and planing for planting.  Then comes three days of wind, misty and cloudy weather to stop everything.  The list of things grows over the three days as I become more aware of spring jobs to be done.  Hopefully, in a week the sun will be more in control. 

Well, this is the spring I will remember of five bunnies in the raised bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment