Saturday, April 10, 2010

Upside down world

It is an up side down type thing.

While walking around the yard with a friend, I uncovered the cloth of a hoop over my tender plants and explaining, this one is secure from the rabbits and pointed to my growing heads of lettuce. The last few weeks I had a few sightings in the early morning and a couple in late afternoon of rabbits.  It is a frighting thought for a gardener,  the yard is being invaded by rabbits.  They write children books about this situation.

This raised bed is next to the kale bed but this is special because of the heavy cloth and the survival of these tender plants.   Within ten seconds of walking beyond this bed we both heard strange noises and turned to see Daisy digging two feet from my lettuce.  Daisy is going into it with the energy of a young dog not the age of a 13 years old dog.  Upon a rushed, close look at what Daisy is doing and hearing strange noise of babies, thinking it was a bird's ground nest I shooed her away.  I knew instantly - rabbit nest!  I couldn't believe it.

Though out the day, Daisy has walked around this bed and twice she has quickly started to dig again.  Quickly, just as fast, I chased her away.  With each encounter I have made the cloth more secure on the hoop and hopefully only parent rabbits will get in.

Here I am protecting a nest of baby rabbits.  I now watch though the window looking for the parent rabbits to return and care for their young.  These are not strange stay rabbits anymore but a family in the back yard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment