Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

I think of my mother when I hang laundry on the cloth line.

She is beside me as I look at a rack of flower seeds.

My heart is imprinted with her love of children, the less importunate and the forgotten.

I catch my casual conversation with a stranger, a copy of hers.

The strong need to have scheduled alone time for myself and a place of silence were taught to me by her.

Skills of cooking, using simple, fresh ingredients and serving meals hot reflect all the years of observing her.

My Mother valued curiosity, discussions of ideas and the talent of being an artist.

She was with me every time I travel around the world and touched beautiful fabrics, admired ethic clothing or jewelry.

She is not as far away to as she use to be, for I occasionally now catch a glimpse of her in the mirror, the one passing with the grey hair.

3 comments:

  1. I have some of the same memories of Mom that you have shared. When Mom prepared a meal it had to consist of different textures and colors. I thought everyone cooked a meal that way until I moved away. Mom taught us about life through the eyes of an artist. Hey, I totally agree with you and your grey hair! I thought the same thing when I saw a recent photo of you - you have Mom's SHADE of grey! Made me chuckle. I still have caramel haircolor. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the great things about Mom is that she taught us to sew! She rarely read to us but certainly taught us a lot of Irish songs and a few others like The Yellow Rose of Texas!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sewing skill has serviced me well though the years because I can visialize how things fit together. In building the chicken coop there was lots measuring and pieceing and I thought of my days of sewing.

    ReplyDelete