Saturday, November 20, 2010

Guns, Germs and Steel

           I read this book a few years ago but in the past week I have watched the National Geographic program based on the book.  Of  course, it has been a few years since I read the book but I found the film wonderful and even more informative.

            Netflix has been a strange new force for our evenings in this house.  I have heard so many people talk about it for the last couple years but I am using it in a very personal way. I became addicted to Dr. Martin--British PBS show late last season and now have watched all of the past shows.  I am exploring all the documentaries Netflix offers.  Botany of Desire, The White Camel, a few biographic titles.  A line I will not forget was from Joan Baez bio, "I believe in humanity more than a flag". About nine years ago,  I was in a Trader Joe's store in Palo Alto one week-end afternoon and she was in there shopping.  No mistaking her.  She was with it seemed her sister, the family lives in the area I understand.  I have always loved her voice but now I understand her personality and what has been driving her for years.

           The trouble with me is that good comedy movies--I could use a laugh - are hard to come by in my opinion, like the Jack Nicholson stuff.  I have over the years gone to the movie houses to see them.  Today's teenage stories bore me so I have searched for foreign films or documentaries.  Fortunately, Netflix has a huge list.

        What's his name, the Dr. Martin guy, had a travel series on PBS about the islands around England.  His true personality is the opposite of his character he plays on Dr. Martin.  It was fun to see.

      



           

No comments:

Post a Comment